7.13.2006


MY HIDDEN FEARS

About two weeks ago, Hamas kidnapped an Israeli soldier.

For this cause alone, the world has changed. Many people will wake up today and follow their regular routine: perhaps, the gym first, then work, then some socializing, then some sleep. Very few people will know, nor care, that Israel went to war today.

Indeed, Israel is at war and the Middle East is in turmoil. While we slept here in the Americas, the Hezbollah guerrillas fired rockets into Northern Israel from Lebanon. To add insult to injury, the Hezbollah kidnapped two Israeli soldiers and killed seven others. The Hezbollah were apparently unprovoked. During the day, while we slept here, Israel blew out the airport in Beirut, Lebanon in reaction to the Hezbollah attacks.

Coupled with the raucous raised by the Hezbollah, Israel is also fighting Hamas and the Islamic Jihad militants in Gaza. CNN describes Gaza in very dire tones indeed and declares that the present carnage is worse than anything the Strip has seen in 15 years. That is saying a lot. So, Israel is at war on two fronts: along its borders with Lebanon and with the Palestinians in Gaza.

I am really not sure why Israel's business concerns me. However, I do know a number of things. One of them is that I do not want to see an escalation of violence in the Middle East. In fact, I do not want to see any violence there although to hope for this will be like Waiting for Godot. Every time I hear of suicide bombers in Gaza or Israel, it worries me.

To be sure, I believe that the Palestinians should be free to govern themselves in the most sovereign way that the law of society allows. I believe also that the Palestinians have a duty to complete a peaceful disengagement from Israeli control. The suicide bombs, the mortar shells, IEDs and cross-border rocket attacks are unconscionable regardless of the strength of the supporting argument.

Last night, I listened to the Israeli P.M. Ehud Olmert speaking about the goings-on in his territory. He said that the there were those who wish "to test their (the Israelis) resolve". I have encountered this phrase before. Most times, it has been the prelude to bloodshed and grave loss.

I have no doubt that this will be the case again.

Now is a good time to pray for peace.

No comments: