10.07.2006

An Atypical Day

Friday was interesting - more for me, perhaps, than for you.

I usually try to structure my days so that I have as much free time as possible. I'm a natural loafer...can't snap the habit. Somehow, I managed to get yesterday 'swamped' with things to do. Certainly felt different!

I made it to Laurie's class on time. Her subject is always such a delight...[assuming you have no life, are bent on twisting your mortal mind, are and enamoured by the incomprehensible]! After that, I was scheduled to conference with the charismatic Rosenbloom about a Transfer Pricing paper topic. I hadn't even come up with a good idea for the meeting and I was very worried. I had to rage against the machine when my laptop adamantly refused to get wireless reception - I changed location 4 times just looking for some stray wireless portal to tap into! I'm really beginning to dislike Vanderbilt/Furman for this lack of wirelessness. Don't those buildings know I live on the web...literally???

Anyways, after sweating bullets trying to come up with something impressive to say to Rosenbloom, he turned out to be such a charming man with very little stress. I must say, all I could think about was - 'wouldn't it be nice to earn one of the highest salaries in the academia, teaching one course - which, by the way - is online and comprises recordings of what I taught last semester - and have office hours once a week?!' I think he has a great job. Now, I know what I want to be when I grow up.... [No, no...not a professor. I want to be David H. Rosenbloom!]

After Rosenbloom, I popped up to Financial Aid Services to try to sort out my loan situation [see my last post]. Apparently, someone entered the wrong social security number for me and the wire transfer went haywire [forgive the pun]. I think I may have sorted it out now [minimal effort, I know] but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. One can never tell how things may go - for good or for bad. I'm ready for both of 'em! Yeah!!!

Did I mention that I'm going to Egypt for the holidays? [I can just see your envying looks.] I'm going to Cairo. But I'll certainly drop by in Alexandra and Luxor. If possible, I'll catch up with some luxury at Sharm el-Sheikh. Delightful, eh? Yes, I know....

So, back to the real world.

With my financial aid situation apparently taken care of, I had to pop over to my orientation at the Review of Law and Social Change. There was a whole bunch of people there...which was expected anyways. Afterall, there are over 100 editors anyways. So, I sat there, looking like one of the new kids on the block, trying not to be grumpy. I usually avoid anything that includes "meetings"; especially, when it's not something I'm pioneering! I usually don't like being around people who are already so familiar with each other.

However, it's for the latter reason that I never went to language classes; never started Taekwondo; never joined a club in Undergrad/Lawschool; and, pretty much is the reason why I usually don't know a lot of people anywhere in the world. Which may be why I spend so much time playing chess online and daydreaming! Grrrr. I'm learning to change that.

Ah, talking about chess - two things. Right after the Review orientation, I popped over to Thompson St. to play some chess. [I'll have to tell you about Thompson St. someday!] Also, Topalov won game 8! ...playing with the Black pieces!!! "Impossible, though arth nothing indeed"

When I was done playing chess, I headed for the subway. Just as I was going into the bowels of the earth, I thought..."You're in NYC, it's a Friday night, you're in the mood...and you're going home???" Doesn't make sense to you either, right? I didn't think so. Therefore, I headed back out of the subway and decided to walk the streets.

Well, what did I find? I found a shop with Puma sneakers. It was closed but at least it saves me wondering where to buy those...I need to do some shopping soon. I also walked into an Adult store. I saw a live dildo for the first time! It's not a shop I would like to work in, but I sure loved walking through it.... I passed by a shop where you can watch someone getting tatooed. Some girl was getting a tatoo very close to her .... Now, that was a sight. I also found this cute shop with nice, unique wristwatches. After walking around in squares, I found myself back at the subway entry. So, I took it as a sign and headed on home.

New York is getting colder. The Columbus day holidays are this week so, everything's on sale. It feels like things are on sale every weekend. I'll try to get some reading done today so I can go over to the mall nearby. Who knows who or what might find me!

Alrighty. No morals for today. Cheerie eerie o!

1 comment:

CatherineAnne said...

You're going to Egypt?! How fun! With whom? Why? Its fun reading about your (mis)adventures.