10.27.2006

Of Sagas, snow, and states of emergency.

It's really curious how simple things can quickly become complicated.

Last time, I mentioned that my loan situation was beginning to play out into a saga even though things were supposed to be as simple as the earth's rotation. Well, a saga it became indeed! This week, I found that my account still reflected a huge deficit (kinda like the U.S. budget). This was regardless of the fact that the lender had advanced a check for the full amount the the University Bursar inadvertently "refunded". I determined that I would get to the bottom of this matter. So, I called the financial aid office; called the Bursar; and then, called the Bank. No one seemed to be on the same page! I was scarcely surprised. The American system works very interestingly when human intervention comingles with mechanical programming. Sadly, I'm at the end of the stick on this one.

Nevertheless, I discovered that the guys at the financial aid office seemed to know better than anyone else what was going on, and after a few days and lots of phone calls, my account is back to credit status. Naturally, it's taken a month to correct someone's inadvertence - 3 days before all my spring records were scheduled to be wiped off! Of course, we shall ignore the small matter that my account now shows that the lender has disbursed waaay more than I actually borrowed! Someday, there will be an accounting to be done. Await my bankruptcy filings should things go awry! I can just imagine them selling of my poor heirloom in Lagos!!! [Shudder...]

The weather in New York has been in rare form this week. It has dropped to the very low 50's and everyone now has a reason to hurry everywhere. As a morbid aside, I coincidentally read somewhere that sexually transmitted diseases are less widespread in their transference during severe weather periods, e.g. in Winter. With this cold, I guess the reason is a no-brainer. Naturally, the nights are the worst. Regardless, it must be some sort of a curse to be alone in the world's most exciting city. But that is how I find myself.

Anyways, I cannot wait until it snows! I still haven't seen the snow - and I've been here (overseas) for over a year. I'm sure when it eventually snows, I shall curse my luck and speak constantly to my Ancestors over the frost. Yet, I'm excited about having a white Christmas!

Speaking of Christmas, I've bought my ticket to Egypt! I'm very excited about that too. For some reason, I thought the pyramids in Giza were far from Cairo. I learned today that they're about 20-odd minutes away from the city. That' s just swell. However, besides the pyramids, I'm very eager to see the temples in Luxor and the statute of Rameses. I will also visit the Boy-King and ask him how come his mystery and gold have confounded sages for ages. Gosh...at this rate, by the time I get back, all my sentences will be punctuated by hieroglyphics!!! [You're envious, I know. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get over it!]

I have to go for a tax conference in Michigan on Friday. It's an OECD conference on tax policy and its relationship to development. I think it might be fun - if one can consider a tax conference as fun. But it's a great opportunity and I never look a gift horse in the mouth!

OMG! I forgot to say - I went to Princeton, NJ over the weekend! It was beeeeauuuutiful! Well, not really. But the ambience was amazing. Some of the buildings were very old - and I love old buildings. Other buildings were designed with the old, gothic-type style to fit in with the pre-existing ancient structures. Our company had a guide who was an alumnus from the mid-90s. He had a clean British accent. He also spoke Italian with panache (the other members of my company were Italian). I asked him where he had schooled and he mentioned Oxford, etc. I thought to myself, "hmm, Princeton, Oxford, NYU...nice". And when I asked how come he spoke Italian so well, he looked around him - surprised - and said, "I am Italian!".

If you have the chance, visit Princeton. It is the top-ranked university in the United States; and, the world. It's faculty is legendary; it's buildings are enobling. Go with your Significant Other, if you have one; go with a digital camera and a sense of curiousity. I think you will enjoy yourself very much. I know I did!

Did I mention that the President eventually declared a state of emergency in that renegade place called Ekiti State, Nigeria? No one can seem to do right in the face of the Nigerian polity. Even though the state was going down into anarchy, people nevertheless criticized the president for effecting emergency powers. If he had failed to act, the same people would have criticized him for the remiss and suspected his motives.

I support the state of emergency. I do not support the President's continuous unilateral actions, however, or the lethargy with which the government engages testy situations. I am glad that Ayo Fayose has lost his S. 308 immunity although he is now nowhere to be found. I hear he has fled to Germany. I hope he remains a fugitive until he owns up to the social injustice of his kleptocracy. The Good Book says, "Have you seen a wicked man? An unjust messenger will be sent against him." Fayose's demise is good riddance to absolute rubbish. Next Chapter, please!

I shall stop venting now. I think I may go down to Thompson St. and play some chess. Or just go on home with my tail between my legs - it is how I spend my friday nights in New York City. Hmm...I guess this is just another weekend when I'll go on dreaming of a'changels.

Cheers!

No comments: