3.05.2007

Some Success!

Indeed, there is some success! I got a job offer today from Pricewaterhouse Coopers LLP.

It's one of the "big four". I am sure I shall have to do a lot of explaining about why a lawyer works in an "accounting firm". Unfortunately, I failed to detail how my 2nd round of interviews with them went. [For anyone interested, it was 4 interviews - with 3 partners and 1 director; altogether, 5 interviews - counting the initial interview at NYU.]. If I accept the offer, I will be in the international tax service section. After the hiring person called me today, one of the partners also called on the phone. We fixed a brunch date for next week.

And so, this is how I select where to go on my applications:
1. The people you meet, and those you'll work with; and
2. The eagerness the organization shows towards your joining them.

If the people are not nice, all the money/favors/scholarships/titles in the world will leave you miserable - and searching for something more.
If the organization shows lukewarmness towards you, then you know you will only be a statistic in the grand scheme of things. Your presence is uncelebrated; your departure will be unnoticed.

On both accounts PwC scores well. At the interview, its people sounded genuinely excited about their company. Indeed, Fortune & CNN think it is one of the best places to work in America. I shall just have to wait and see. The partners that have called me say they're 'excited' that I'm considering them! Now, that's new!

Unto other things, this weekend, a Nigerian director won the African prize at the film festival. I can scarcely recommend those Nigerian "home videos" but things may have significantly improved in the few years that I've been away. I think Africa must rank Nigerian movies highly - indeed, so must I.

After a week of tolerable temperatures, New York is freezing over again.

My sister is coming to the U.S. next month to give birth to her second child. That'll make both of her kids american. From a Nigerian perspective, that's the best type of 401(k) plan one can have!

Let's hope more exciting things happen this week. I shall keep my fingers crossed!

No comments: