4.17.2007

Elections, Death...Milestones.

The Peoples Democratic Party in Nigeria literally whitewashed the opposition in last weekend's state elections! This map shows just how much political territory the PDP garnered. Make no mistake, it only justifies their position as the most corrupt political party in the world.

Killings, riots, sorrow, tears and blood have followed this win. The opposition is up in arms and no one is under the illusion that the PDP has won fairly or with merit. The Police are under siege in numerous parts of the country. I fear for the cheapness of their lives as a misplaced footnote in 'the Nigerian cause'...whatever that may be. It is the bane of our underdevelopment - to be outmaneuvered by the illegitimate and the illiterate. President Obasanjo must be grinning to his ears. It is a shame to see that our political process has not improved in 8 years of 'democracy'.
However, brightness! The Supreme Court has reasserted its independence by approving Atiku Abubakar to run for President. While I disagree - prima facie - with the Supreme Court's rationale on this approval, I shall have to reserve my judgment until I read the text of their reasoning. If I were more famous, I'd probably get flamed for 'dissenting'.
I must say that regardless of all the negatives emanating from shoddily conducted elections and the widespread violence, I believe there are upsides to these elections. I think Nigeria has moved forward in its democratic growth. Granted, our electorate is still uncouth in huge respects. However, I predict that the level of political consciousness will lead to progressively more activity in the minds of many. Such consciousness will bring forward people with some genuine interest in making Nigeria more than a byword. I am hopeful that more dreamers will find the light and the path.... I truly believe....
On milestones. I gave out over 1 million Naira today. In a single act. It happened so quickly that I didn't know when it was done. It happened so so quickly that, only after I had given it out did I realize that I actually had it. I did not have it yesterday. I did not hear applause when it happened. Indeed, it happened, not with a bang...but with a whisper.

2 comments:

CatherineAnne said...

Wait, "gave out?" Am I mistaken as to the exchange rate? 127:1?

CatherineAnne said...

Also, clearly that was not the part of the post which should have struck me most strongly.