3.26.2009

One of Those Days.

I wanted to blog about tonight before I forgot the feeling.

So, I feel pretty terrible right now. And, the reason isn't a host of things. It's one simple thing. I got b*tch-smacked by today's rain.

Worked late, got the job done, I stepped out unto Madison Avenue and it was the most beautiful drizzle...the lights of the City bouncing off each raindrop; taxis racing through the rain; beautiful people walking past me anonymously - just the way I like it. I even stopped to buy flowers. 12 roses, tulips...something. So far, so good. I walked ...past the emptyness of Bryant Park and the bright lights of Times Square...all the way to Port Authority - in the drizzle. Really romantic, when you think about it in retrospect.

And then I got unto the bus and had the usual uneventful trip into my little City. Uneventful, except for the little matter that - eyes open - I missed my stop. By a lot. Of course, by now, it wasn't drizzling. It was raining. No way to wing it but to walk through the shower.

So, today, I got home dripping. Dripping wet. Wet like I haven't been since 2005 when I waded through sewage water on Adeniran Ogunsanya at midnight to get home from work on an equally unforgettable night. Same thing today without the sewage. Same streets, almost. Same feeling: shoes wrecked; clothes sticky; head spinning.

Now, I'm back home...barely warm. And the only positive thing? Probably that the flowers made it back home just fine.

Watch this cute video that I kept playing over and over last week. You'll love it - I promise. Perhaps it will cheer both of us up too.

1 comment:

lamikayty said...

Nice piece... same streets, one sewage ridden,the other clean!