6.28.2006

Writing is Hard Work!

Today, I feel like crying...with joy and excitement!

I spent the past one year battling with my thesis. My professor gave me tacit hints that she disapproved of my writing style. She suggested I read other contemporary writers. Apparently, the hydra-headed problem my thesis addressed was not enough work already. I also had to work on my communication. So, I wrung my skill throughout the year producing draft-after-draft of a huge work. Until I ran out of time and had to submit my thesis regardless of my lack of direct writing style. My thesis supervisor was patient. She read the maze I created and gave me a grade belying my ineptitude at writing.

Since I intend to work a bit in the U.S., I still needed to work on my writing. So, I read some books to try to brush up my skill. I also gladly accepted the coaching of one of the writing professors here. The professor was kind and offered me his precious time and excellent opinions. He gave me a Memo assignment. The memo is the standard means of formal communication in the U.S. I was lazy about the assignment and tentative about my output. (I think I am still mentally tired; I shall have to write about that another day.)

Today, I received an email from my writing professor. He said,

“I just finished reading your paper. It is stellar. You are going to be an excellent attorney. … I really do not have any suggestions for improvement.”

If ever I need a vote of confidence, I needed it today.

Someone once told me, "Hard work is hard". But it pays.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nobody is actually a write-off until improvement is compromised.Life is all about inprovements!

Anonymous said...

Nobody is actually a write-off until improvement is compromised.Life is all about inprovements!Segunadepoju