9.28.2006

The Messiah

I always find religious views very interesting. Like most people, I recognize that faith and science do not always walk in the same spheres. Science always demands that we "prove"; faith only demands that we believe. However, the subject on my mind today isn't necessarily a sermon.

In the same manner that every pilgrim hopes, I also long to find a resting place. I hope to walk the earth in forms and ideas and, at my journey's end, find peace and reward for my efforts. Mind you, I have no desire to seek rewards for my successes...only for my efforts. I do not believe the cosmos asks more from us than that we give our best effort, every time, in every situation.

Anyways, the question of the Messiah is never far from my mind. Is he coming? Surely. Is he coming in the way that we think? Sincerely, I doubt this. Is he already here? I wish I could tell. With all these questions therefore, I am always comforted when I realize that I may not be the only one who thinks that the Messiah may have said more than our dulled senses can understand. His appearance may be triumphant, like the Holy Book says. The Holy Book might have spoken in metaphors, in which case the Messiah will appear to every man, woman and child at their points of epiphany. Perhaps, the Messiah is a journey that each one must take - for himself...alone.

Anyone who has crossed the W4th St. section of Washington Sq. Park may or may not have seen this darling quote on the wall of a church somewhere there. The quote is nondescript, unimposing. Yet, it captures me with imaginary bands of gold; with chords of a truth I wish those who can affect the world would hear. And it is this:

"The Messiah we need is some random act of kindness;
some discreet move to introduce candor into politics;
some new intensive care for the planet.
Perhaps, the Messiah will come when we have broken bread with our enemies."

These are the words of Robert Funk. I wish to the heavens that they were mine.

I wish they would be yours as well.

No comments: