9.24.2006

The Prodigy...no longer a nightmare.

Did anyone catch UFC 63 Live?

I’m a big fan of mixed martial arts. Pride Fighting Championships and the Ultimate Fighter basically do it for me. I’m not sure what it is but I think in a former life, I may have been a combatant. I get so excited when these guys enter the Octagon and put their skills to the drill. It’s a fearful thing to face another man in a cage. Kinda like a throwback to the Roman times.

Anyways, the highlight of the night for UFC 63 was a title match between the defending champion – and most dominant fighter in the 170-pound weight class – Matt Hughes and the last person to beat him in the Octagon, “The Prodigy” BJ Penn. After three rounds, a bloodied nose and a poked eye, Matt Hughes won after what seemed to be a titanic battle. I guess he can leave all his nightmares behind now after his shock loss to BJ. Well, having beaten all the other dominant people in his weight class – Frank Trigg, George “rush” St. Pierre, “The Prodigy” BJ Penn, “The Legend” Joyce Gracie, etc…. Matt Hughes scarcely has anyone left to challenge him. Well, I salute him!

Being at the top is great fun indeed!

No comments: