2.14.2007

Dreaming of A'changels

Happy Valentine’s Day!
I hope you – yes, you – found someone to cuddle up to today!? Well, in the mindless style of every big city, New York decided to have its first real snow today! We had so many inches of snow…. I’m positive a lot of couples would have decided to stay in tonight rather than make a meal of it in this stultifying weather. I have decided I do not so much like the snow. I shall not miss it when the snow stops falling and spring sets in.

It is interesting what 24hrs can do. Literally. Since my last post, I have gotten two callbacks from the WorldBank and PwC! So, for the WB, I’m going to Washington, D.C. in a week’s time. For PwC, it will have to be some time in the near future, I hope. While not optimal, I have to be excited with what I have gotten thus far. It really is very difficult to make an impression on the job market here. I shall keep trudging along. I will keep us all informed. Also, in the last 24hrs, I got some remote news. I wrote a case brief for the Shell Corporation just before I left Nigeria. I worked on it for 5 months. We were attempting to enforce an instrument claiming $21m from an insurance company acting as a guarantor. The instrument was unique in its multifarious angles. It was drawn up very badly, but I had to coordinate an argument in support of our claim for enforcement. After two years of arguments at the Federal High Courts, I found out today that the court upheld my brief and gave judgment for Shell. Hmm…. Very gratifying, I must say.

While I was in the library this evening, inhaling the Controlled Substance-like fumes of International Taxation, my phone rang. It was my normally hyperactive friend from Lagos. Ostensibly, she called to wish me a happy valentine’s day…and to tell me that I’d forgotten her birthday. Again. While I know her birth date, I don’t think I’ve ever remembered it on the day. Sinful stuff. Well, what was really sinful was the real reason why she called. Her fiancé apparently forgot her birthday AND didn’t buy her a card [talk less of chocolates] for Valentine’s! She is completely convinced that he has taken her for granted. I found it hard to make a case for the young man. I sincerely did not even wish to attempt it. After sounding depressed for a while, her hyperactivity kicked in and she ended the call with her usual effervescence. I was grateful for that.

It is interesting how much we take for granted. Most times, we are terrible to the people who treat us the best. I know, sometimes, I am guilty of this too. It is the reason why I try to forgive others…in hope that my own sins will be equally forgiven. Anyways, it’s Valentine’s day. Go ahead, tell someone you love them. Do it now!

No comments: