2.12.2007

Dare I say it...




If you're any of the faithful friends that I have who has come to my webpage this year, I'd like to say, 'I'm very, very sorry'. I have absolutely been unable to write anything since I jet set out to the land of the Pharaohs in late December. And look, it's almost Valentine's Day in February 2007! Wow!

Cairo was amazing! The pyramids were fantastic; the ambience was wonderful; the people were very kind; and good fortune followed me there in its quasi-peculiar ways. There was lots of museums to see and my company was the most delectable.

However, since I got back, I've been in the midst of trying to catch up with my school work and looking for a job! It's that time of the year in New York - where all the LL.M.s are haunting the law firms begging, pleading, threatening, deceiving, and bluffing to get a job at one of the top firms. I wish I could say with confidence that I was assured of anything. Sadly, this is not the case. My results at NYU were shambolic and I have no hope of impressing anyone whatsoever. At best, the results say that I'm not a complete moron - which getting into NYU sufficed to say anyways. These indeed are trying times.

Everything is not all doom and gloom though. After realizing that I was getting the short end of the stick on interviews, I decided to 'cold' mail my resume. You know, the one where you pull email addresses off the internet and click 'send' hoping that they, at least, read your resume before equally clicking 'delete'. I've gotten some look-ins at the WorldBank and PwC, but nothing concrete yet. I'd really like to get a law firm job [did you hear that the salaries in NY are up to $160,000!!!].

More deeply, I'm eager to see what God has planned this time. I don't think things have been more precarious than now for me. Of course, I could say the same thing about some really frightening times in my recent past. But, everyday seems like a new challenge. It's easy to forget that even though yesterday was so hopeless, you still made it through. Today just seems to bring a whole new hopelessness of its own.

Having said that, I'm trying to keep my head up. I will 'cold' mail my resume all I can and pray for the best. I will do the very best I can under the circumstances. It will be comforting to know that whatever the result is, I could not have done better. God does not do for men what men must do for themselves.

Even though it is so late in the year, dare I say to you...

Happy New Year! [and I hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day too!!!]

Here are pictures from Cairo -




No comments: