12.23.2006

The Aftermath.

Now, here’s the first time I’ve been able to sigh with deep-enough contentment in such a loooo…ng time. Those exams went terribly! I’m almost ashamed of myself and I’m very scared to see what my results turn out to be like. Usually, I surprise myself and do much better than I expect. THIS time, it would be a huge surprise if that happens.

Anyways, while the exams were on, I found time to dissemble at the Nigerian consulate – so I could get my passport on time; and, I hurried over to the Consulate of the Arab Republic of Egypt to try to get a visa. My trip to Egypt’s Consulate was an exercise in diplomacy. Not being a U.S. citizen, I had to make a case on why they should not send my visa to Cairo first for screening! It was almost absurd. Naturally, fellow Cairo-bound travelers of American extract only had to pay a small fee, fill a light form, and leave their passports for stamping and collection. No questions were asked; no dramatic conversations were undertaken. Anyways, I have my visa now and everything else is water under the bridge. Now that I’m done with finals, I’m all set to hit the Land of the Pharaohs!

Everyone seems to wonder why I’m going to Cairo. The reason is simple. Everywhere else, I can visit in good time and in due course. Cairo, on the other hand, is not a place I’m likely to do a reprise of unless I am old and grey and in the fondness for a second honeymoon. Is it out-of-the-way? Certainly. Am I apprehensive? To an extent, yes. Should I have gone to London, Paris, or Rome? Maybe. But I have not chosen the cities of light. I have chosen the desert of the Pharaohs. There is little more to be said about it. I certainly won’t become more sophisticated from going to Arabia, I imagine. But that an epiphany of sorts will take place, is undeniable. And it beckons. Just be happy for me, and expect fun pictures!

I wonder if I’ll be able to blog from Arabia?! Be expectant. I know I can’t wait!

No comments: