3.14.2007

2 out of 2

I've come full circle on the job search arena: The World Bank Group has offered me a job as an Extended Term Consultant under the Legal Associates Program; PwC has reinstated their offer of a Tax Associate position.

I guess there really isn't much to say about the World Bank offer save to mention, with regret, that I cannot accept it. The Extended Term Consultant [ETC] position lasts for 1 year, extendible for an extra year; subsequently, the consultant may accept a more permanent position at the WB. My research shows that you cannot spend time at the Bank in excess of an aggregate of 4 years. Coming off the aches of a J-1 home residency requirement, I am not so eager to dive into another time-constrained position.

I sent the documentation from the State Department to PwC by email attachment and receved a phonecall in return. I think my starting date is sometime in September 2007 and it will be a happy event to have my life on a path of certainty after 3 years of unpredictability on the rollercoaster of life.

It's remarkable that people might think the World Bank position is more desirable. The Legal Associates Program is very prestigious, no doubt. And, under different circumstances, I would select the World Bank in a heartbeat. Yet, it would only be an ideal position if I was younger. I no longer have the luxury of accepting positions without clear opportunities to progress vertically. Ironically, the offer call I received from the WB mentioned that I was being hired in spite of my relative lack of experience vis-a-vis the other candidates. How paradoxical life is.

The Office of Career Services at NYU emphasizes that only 18% of students receive offers from the International Student Interview Program held annually in New York. My interviews from the WB and PwC were the only interview positions I got from the ISIP. I guess it also comes full circle that all the law firms sent me rejection letters without giving me a chance to interview. You can say that I am relieved to be done with the interviwing process in every respect. And in the nick of time too!

No comments: